I first met Ted Mathies on October ninth.

He came into our studio to speak with me and the production crew about his life background and experiences. During this hour pre-interview, I knew Mr. Mathies was different.BW4G2948 400 I’ve never seen a veteran be so open about his time in the war he served in. The first thing he said was, “You can ask me anything you want, nothing is off limits. Except the obvious question because I’m going to answer that now. No, I did not die in Vietnam.” Then he chuckled. That’s when I knew this documentary was going to be great. The fact that he was so open minded during this whole process made it much more relaxing for me knowing I didn’t have to worry about asking a question that would make him feel uncomfortable.

The production crew and I went out on our school’s mobile storyteller to the MAPS Air Museum in Green, Ohio, where Mr. Mathies runs a replica medical tent, to interview him on October sixteenth. The interview went amazing, it could not have gone any better. Mr. Mathies let the camera crew do whatever they needed to make the shot perfect. For that the crew and I are grateful. While the camera crew and I were interviewing Mr. Mathies, we had two other crews doing different jobs. We had a picture and broll crew going around the museum getting footage and taking pictures of all the exhibits. We also had a crew on the mobile storyteller finding footage from Vietnam on the national archives. It really was a team effort throughout the entire process of making this documentary. The interview last a little over two hours.

BW4G3059 400From there, I went through the two hour interview and picked out the parts I thought were the most important and wrote the narration, keeping in mind I was working with a twenty minute time limit. While I was doing this, the production crew continued to search the national archives for footage that matched with the interview and the narration. It took me about four days to get the script the way I wanted it. The production crew then took the script and put it into a sequence. The production crew deserves a lot more credit than they got for this project because they put in a lot of hours outside of school to get this documentary completed by the deadline while also making an amazing piece. IMG 3226 400

On November sixth, Taylor Roffman, my fellow narrator, the production crew, and myself came in after school to touch up the script and get it ready for shooting. On November eighth, Taylor, myself, and the crew came in and shot the narration portion of the documentary. Then on the eighth, we came back to shoot the narration. Then the production crew stayed late nights for the next three days to get the documentary ready for the premiere on the following Monday.

The Premiere was amazing. We had Mr. Mathies, Mrs. Mathis, and a maps representative, who is also a veteran, into the studio to watch the documentary. This was the first time the crew and I saw the production. We were all really proud of the results from the work we put into this piece and most importantly, we were ecstatic that Mr. Mathies loved it as well. We were all so happy we could honor Mr. Mathies in a way that no one else has before. We all loved this project and are looking forward for a chance at another.

ScafiffiHeadShotMy name is, Jacob Scaffidi, and I’m a junior at Hoover High School in North Canton, Ohio. I play baseball and am in the bipartisan club. This is my second year in the NCTV program and I love being a part of it. I hope to study broadcast journalism and sports studies in college and make a career out of sports management and/or sports broadcast.

vidiu go new 475x800

svn ace 300x650