At Tribeca Flashpoint Academy, Chicago’s premier digital media arts college, people just like you are turning a lifelong love of art, storytelling, and digital media from a hobby into something greater.
With five intensive degree programs to choose from, the very latest in digital technology at your fingertips, and a professional faculty teaching you in-demand skills, you’ll earn your Associate’s degree while getting a focused, forward-thinking education to lead you to career success.
TFA’s five Associate’s degree programs—including Film + Broadcast, Recording Arts, Animation + Visual Effects, Game + Interactive Media, and Design + Visual Communication—erase the boundaries between the classroom and the real world by combining hands-on learning and expert instruction with opportunities to work on professional productions for real-world clients.
In addition to discipline-specific coursework, several key educational areas support each program’s curriculum:
• General education courses allow students to build their professional skills on a solid foundation of written and oral communication skills, math, and humanities.
• TFA Professional Standards provide the framework for evaluating students' professional development and ensure their preparedness for career success.
• Student Services, including academic advising, tutoring, and social service assistance, ensure that every student has a reliable network of support.
• Career Services prepares students for employment with career classes, resume and interview coaching, and networking events to assist students through the process of transitioning from school to employment.
Film + Broadcast at TFA
In the competitive film and broadcast industry, collaboration is the key to success. To help our students learn to work well as a team, our Film + Broadcast program is broken into two parts: a foundational overview of the film and broadcast production pipelines in the first year, and a focus on a specific area of concentration in the second year.
In the first year of TFA’s Film + Broadcast program, you’ll write your own screenplay and broadcast stories, direct actors and break down scripts, edit your projects using Final Cut Pro, learn basic camera and lighting techniques, and oversee a team project from start to finish. You’ll also get your first taste of large, interdisciplinary productions in classes like Production Module and Production-In-Action.
In the second year of the program, you’ll zero in on a specific area of focus—what we call your Focused Study—in one of six areas:
Throughout your year of Focused Study, you’ll take on real-world client projects, work with instructors to create a compilation of your best work, and get expert guidance in interviewing, resume writing, and more in career services.
At the end of two years, you’ll walk away with more than a degree to hang on your wall. You’ll have a resume full of real-world projects, a portfolio of professional-quality work, and the real-world skills to launch and build your career.
Campus and Facilities
All of TFA’s degree programs are taught entirely on-location at TFA’s downtown Chicago campus, a 100,000-square-foot digital media wonderland. In addition to the school’s state-of-the-art classrooms and production spaces in historic Burnham Center (28 North Clark Street), TFA’s campus also includes two additional learning sites: a two-floor sound stage at the Merchandise Mart (222 Merchandise Mart Plaza) and Studio B at the CBS Broadcast Facility (108 N. State Street).
Click here for a video tour of TFA’s campus.
Student Life and Housing
At TFA, the student experience is one of learning, collaboration and finding your artistic voice, both inside and outside of the classroom. Surrounded by one of America’s most culturally vibrant cities, our student body has access to Chicago’s many world-class attractions, including live music and theater, shopping, dining, sightseeing, and more—all just steps from our front door.
Within our walls, students have lots of opportunities to make friends, learn new things, and feed their passions. From advance movie screenings and Q&As with special guests to participating in student clubs and organizations, our student life calendar is full of exciting things to do.
Although TFA does not offer on-campus housing, there are many safe and conveniently located housing options available to students. TFA’s Admissions Representatives can share more information about nearby student housing partners or answer questions about commuting to TFA from any of Chicago’s diverse neighborhoods.
To begin the admissions process, contact TFA today:
Email: [email protected]
Tribeca Flashpoint Media Arts Academy has a very personal admissions process that evaluates applicants across a number of criteria, both personal and academic. To be considered, all applicants must meet the following admissions requirements:
• Must possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent (minimum)
• Must possess a minimum 2.0 GPA in high school coursework
• Must complete the Wonderlic Cognitive Ability Test (administered onsite at Tribeca Flashpoint Academy)
• Must submit a completed application
• Must attend a student interview with admissions staff and faculty
• A portfolio displaying a student’s creative work is strongly encouraged, but is not required
When interviewing potential students, our admissions team seeks the same qualities that employers look for in prospective hires: excellent oral and written communication skills, professionalism, flexibility, and the ability to problem solve, innovate, and collaborate. By making sure each candidate meets these requirements, we keep our student body focused, dynamic, and committed to their projects, colleagues, and professional development.
Visit Our Campus
Be our guest at an upcoming campus tour, and learn more about the amazing opportunities you'll have as a Tribeca Flashpoint Academy student. Explore our state-of-the-art facilities, meet our staff and faculty, and see for yourself what makes TFA the premiere place for media arts education.
When you visit our campus, you’ll get to:
• Take a walking tour of our high-tech facilities
• Learn more about our five degree programs
• Learn about the technology you'll use as a student
• Hear from staff, faculty and/or students
• View examples of student work from your discipline
• Discuss housing and financial aid options
• Ask questions and get advice from our helpful team
• Schedule your student interview
Click here to sign up for an upcoming campus tour
Tuition + Financial Aid
Tribeca Flashpoint Academy proudly offers competitive tuition and financial aid packages for all of our Associate's degree programs.
For more information about tuition and financial aid at TFA, visit our website.