We are in the business of words . . .

but there are two words that don't seem to be used as much as they should anymore...and they are two words that can literally work magic. Those words shutterstock 141295117are...THANK YOU!

They're words we all learned as little kids and as children were constantly reminded to say. But they are no less important now as you move into adulthood.

I was prompted to write this article this month by something that recently happened. One of the cool things about being in the entertainment field are some of the glittery events we get to attend. Often, they are closed to the public or the ticket prices make them inaccessible to many people. But I made it possible for four aspiring young broadcasters to work at one recently, which got them the chance to meet many broadcast pros, have a great dinner and hear what award-winning pieces sound like.

Because of another engagement, I was not able to attend this event. But I fully expected later that night to get text messages letting me know how it had gone and to see some pictures. Nothing. Not one text message or phone call or email came in. I was shocked.

Two days later, one of my young friends did send me a text thanking me for the opportunity and telling me how it inspired him. I've still heard nothing from the other three.

There are two reasons why this is so wrong. First, it's simply rude. When someone does something for you, it's important to show gratitude. Secondly, it's a professional mistake.

This is not the image you want to portray. It does not speak well about you and that can have long-lasting effects. Not saying thank you risks the future relationship with the person who did something for you. When new opportunities come up, it's safe to say I won't be
thinking about these four people.

How big a deal is saying thank you, really? Well several years ago, a young broadcaster friend of mine with limited experience applied for a job she was in no way really qualified for. She got an interview and sent some cookies along to thank the interviewer for her time.

She got a second interview and sent along a balloon bouquet to show her appreciation for the interviewer taking a second look. She got the job, beating out several people with years of experience in that very position. The reason, she said thank you. The interviewer felt that
with that kind of attitude, this young person could learn the rest. That was 20 years ago and this person is now an executive in the broadcasting industry.

Thank you - two simple little words that can have a huge impact on your future.

Next month, we'll take a look at ways you can get a jump on the competition, even while your still taking classes.

TrujilloHeadshot 225Tammy Trujillo is both an entertainer and an educator. She began in the entertainment field as a child and since graduating from Cal State Fullerton, has continuously worked in the Los Angeles market as a News Anchor, Reporter, Sportscaster and Commercial Voice-Over Artist. Combining her real-world experience with a hands-on approach to learning, Tammy has also taught broadcasting for the past 25 years at many of Southern California's most prestigious private schools and colleges. She is currently the lead Professor of Broadcasting at Mt. San Antonio College. Throughout her career, she has received numerous honors for her work both on the air and behind-the-scenes, including several Golden Mike Awards from the Radio Television News Association. Tammy is a member of SAG-AFTRA, a former Board member of the Associated Press Television Radio Association, a Hall of Fame member at Long Beach City College and a member of Pacific Pioneer Broadcasters. She has authored two books,Intern Insider - Getting the Most Out of Your Internship in the Entertainment Field and Writing and Reporting News You Can Use.