Blackmagic Design today announced ATEM Production Studio 4K, the world's first Ultra HD 4K production switcher with support for Ultra HD live production with 6G-SDI and HDMI 4K technology, is available in April for only $1,995.
.The new ATEM Production Studio 4K lets customers connect up to 8 SD, HD or Ultra HD 4K video cameras, disk recorders and computers for live production. ATEM Production Studio 4K includes all the features expected from a professional switcher, including chroma key, transitions, media pool, downstream keyers, audio mixer, multi view and the world's first 6G-SDI and HDMI 4K video connections.
ATEM Production Studio 4K lets customers work and master to Ultra HD when used with the HyperDeck Studio Pro, which has Ultra HD and 6G-SDI support. This allows important events to be captured in the television format of the future and is perfect for live music events, sporting events, theatre productions, program production, conferences and more.
Ultra HD 4K is four times the resolution of regular high definition video for a massive 3840 x 2160 frame size. The new 6G-SDI and HDMI 4K video connections effortlessly handle Ultra HD 4K and customers can connect all cameras using a single cable. Even when operating in Ultra HD 4K every input includes a frame synchronizer allowing the use of non genlock sources such as computers. There is also a high definition down converted HD-SDI program output for when the switcher is operating in Ultra HD formats, but a regular HD program feed is required.
The ATEM Production Studio 4K features a strong and elegant machined aluminum front design. The front panel key pad lets customers select between auxiliary output sources and the small LCD screen provides instant feedback on the status of the auxiliary output. The aux switching is also a valuable tech monitoring tool for setting up and for live aux switching during production.
The ATEM Production Studio 4K includes the ATEM Software Control Panel for both Mac and Windows that provides complete control of the switcher from a laptop or desktop computer. This software provides full control of transitions, keyers, built in audio mixer and switcher settings. If customers prefer working with a traditional hardware control panel they can add either a ATEM 1 M/E Broadcast Panel or ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Panel.
ATEM Production Studio 4K features built in multi view monitoring so customers can view all sources on a single SDI monitor or HDMI TV, which results in large cost and spacing savings when compared to using multiple small video monitors for viewing switcher sources. Because the multi view output is down converted to HD, even when operating in Ultra HD 4K, customers can still use a commonly available HD monitor or television. Multi view includes independent views for program, preview and 8 switcher sources.
ATEM Production Studio 4K includes the same high quality transitions found on regular high definition professional switchers, but now all these transitions operate in native Ultra HD 4K. Customers get the choice of mix, dip and wipe effects with full control of the transition type, pattern, length and other attributes.
ATEM Production Studio 4K includes 2 built in media players that can store up to 20 full resolution Ultra HD 4K still frames with key and fill. Media players are ideal for lower third name straps, logos and more. ATEM Production Studio 4K also includes a Photoshop plug in that allows direct download graphics and titles from Photoshop to the switcher.
For seamless multi layering, ATEM Production Studio 4K includes 1 upstream keyer and 2 downstream keyers. The upstream keyer includes independent chroma, pattern, shaped and linear keying.
A built in audio mixer is also included that allows any switcher to use embedded HDMI and SDI audio from cameras as well as external audio from the analog XLR and HiFi audio inputs. Customers can use the mixer in direct input mixing or in audio follow video where the audio from each camera will automatically be cross faded while switching. The analog audio inputs are great for microphones, audio mixers or music players.
ATEM Production Studio 4K uses an aviation grade operating system that ensures mission critical reliability, unlike cheap computer based switchers that interrupt video if the computer crashes. With ATEM Production Studio 4K there will still be video output even if one of the control panels loses power or crashes, so the live event is protected from these problems. The front panel aux switching can be used to switch via the aux output until your computer is up and running again!
“With new Ultra HD televisions hitting the market, consumers are gearing up for an amazing transition into a cinema viewing experience in the home! We think this is an exciting revolution that is only just starting, however the primary problem is content creation,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design,. “Live production is the fastest way to generate massive amounts of Ultra HD content quickly and live events offer some of the most exciting sources for entertainment that will take advantage of the increased resolution of Ultra HD images. ATEM Production Studio 4K is perfect for this market and we think will become the center of Ultra HD live production.”
ATEM Production Studio 4K Key Features
• Full live production switcher with media players, chroma keying, transitions and more.
• Switcher can be selected between SD, HD and Ultra HD video formats instantly.
• Built in multi view lets you see all cameras, preview and program on an HD-SDI and HDMI output.
• 8 Inputs total, with 4 SDI/HD-SDI and 4 HDMI inputs. All inputs feature auto re-sync.
• 1 6G-SDI program out, 1 HDMI 4K program out and 1 down converted HD-SDI program output.
• Built in media pool graphics storage for 20 RGBA stills. Includes Photoshop plug in.
• 2 media players allow graphics to be connected to keyers for fill and key layering.
• Transitions include cut, mix, dip to color, SMPTE wipes and more.
• 1 upstream keyer includes chroma keyer and 2 downstream keyers included.
• 1 auxiliary output includes front panel aux switching buttons and LCD screen for viewing.
• Built in audio mixer live mixes embedded audio from video inputs and independent inputs.
• Balanced XLR stereo analog audio inputs and 1 HiFi RCA stereo audio inputs into built in audio mixer.
• Audio mixer is output on balanced XLR audio connections and on SDI/HDMI video outputs.
• Internal sources include black, color bars, two color generators and media pool.
• Ethernet connection for control panel connection. Mac and Windows control panel software included.
• Compatible with all ATEM hardware control panels when hardware panel is required.
• Black Burst and HD-Tri-Sync genlock input.
• Compact 1 rack unit size for a portable solution.
Availability and Price
ATEM Production Studio 4K is available in April for US$1,995 from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide